Heritage Trail

Urangeline

In 1922, Urangeline was purchased by the Baptist Union of Victoria to serve as the home for the newly established Carey Baptist Grammar School.

Urangeline
Urangeline
Home
•••
Urangeline

‘Urangeline’ was designed in 1883 by architects Reed, Henderson & Smart, the architects responsible for the Melbourne Town Hall, for Scottish-born solicitor James C Stewart and erected in 1884. The house was later owned by grazier Alexander McEdward, who renamed it ‘Mildura’ (1888–99), and then pastoralist Thomas Rand (1899–1922) who gave it its present name, Urangeline.

In 1922, the property was purchased by the Baptist Union of Victoria for £14,000 to serve as the home for the newly established Carey Baptist Grammar School.

The whole property occupied about eight acres surrounded by huge pine trees. It was situated on one of the highest spots in Melbourne, and the stately mansion, with its outbuildings and stables, was beautifully placed in a garden setting, excellently planned, and planted with a variety of the finest trees.

Until a separate boarding house, Laycock House, opened in 1925, Carey boarders lived in Urangeline. The dormitory was located upstairs, directly above the headmaster’s study. Resident master Stuart L Hickman (staff, 1923–31; Headmaster, 1948–64) was quartered nearby in a room with a window that overlooked the rear balcony, and matron Marion Collinge (staff, 1923–37) had rooms on the ground floor.

Today, Urangeline is home to the Mellor Museum, Admissions, Human Resources, Community Engagement and the School Leadership Team.

Loading...
Loading...

Fun facts

Joseph Reed, one of the architects who designed Urangeline, also designed the Melbourne Town Hall and the Royal Exhibition Building, among other significant buildings in Melbourne.

Urangeline has been used as a backdrop to many school photos, including the famous 1923 foundation scholars and staff photo.

‘Urangeline is still the heart of the school, despite all the new buildings.’

– Cliff Beasley, Foundation Scholar (1931)

‘Urangeline used to have an annexe with a courtyard to the north. Mrs Dyason operated the kitchen and was known to save a Monte Carlo biscuit for her favourite students.’

– Tim Chilvers, alum (1989) and Chair of the Board (2021–present)

Urangeline has also housed the Headmasters’ and Principals’ office and boardroom over the years.

This is a stop on Carey's Heritage Trail.

Learn about the Heritage Trail here.

LATEST NEWS
Announcing our 2023 Carey Medallist: Hugh van Cuylenburg (1998)
Announcing our 2023 Carey Medallist: Hugh van Cuylenburg (1998)
KEEPING UP WITH CAREY
Follow us on Instagram for regular updates about Carey life.
KEEPING UP WITH CAREY
© Carey Baptist Grammar School Limited
ABN 83 051 576 062CRICOS #00135G
We acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of this land and their continuing connection to land, sea and community. We respect their Elders past and present and recognise the injustices endured by the First Nations peoples of this country.