Heritage Trail

Building A (West Wing)

The building was purchased in 1951 and expanded the Carey Kew site. Now known as Building A, it houses classrooms, ICT and Student Development.

Building A (West Wing)
Building A (West Wing)

Previously known as ‘Moonyah’ and ‘Lopperwood’, Building A was originally owned and occupied by Mrs Lavinia Ward. In 1951 she offered 14 Wrixon Street Kew to Carey for £30,000.

The Council considered unanimously that it was a ‘most desirable acquisition for immediate purposes and future development’. The property gave the School an additional 181 feet frontage on Wrixon Street, by a depth of 365 feet (111 metres) and lent itself readily to conversion for school use.

 During Term 1, 1952, the newly acquired property was converted into a complete unit housing Forms 5 to 7 and known as the ‘New Middle School’. It was officially opened on Saturday 14 March that year.

In 1964, a senior laboratory was completed in the West Wing, together with a staffroom, studies for the Senior House Masters, and the general Sports Master. These additions played an important part in the improved efficiency in the running of the School.

Today, Building A still houses classrooms as well as ICT and Student Development.

Loading...

This is a stop on Carey's Heritage Trail.

Learn about the Heritage Trail here.

LATEST NEWS
Announcing our 2023 Carey Medallist: Hugh van Cuylenburg (1998)
Announcing our 2023 Carey Medallist: Hugh van Cuylenburg (1998)
KEEPING UP WITH CAREY
Follow us on Instagram for regular updates about Carey life.
KEEPING UP WITH CAREY
© Carey Baptist Grammar School Limited
ABN 83 051 576 062CRICOS #00135G
We acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of this land and their continuing connection to land, sea and community. We respect their Elders past and present and recognise the injustices endured by the First Nations peoples of this country.