Carey was founded in 1923 with the support of the Baptist Union of Victoria, initially as a day and boarding school for boys. Our school is named in honour of Revd Dr William Carey, a Baptist missionary and self-taught language scholar who dedicated much of his life to humanitarian work in India in the 18th century. His life of service, faith and commitment to learning are central to the core of the School’s philosophy today.
After significant growth during the post-World War II period, which saw the School’s enrolment double, Carey was invited to join the Associated Public Schools of Victoria (APS) in 1957. Our students now compete in both the APS and Associated Grammar Schools (AGS) sporting competitions, two of the highest standards of secondary school sporting competitions in the country.
During this period, Carey also acquired a beautiful tract of land on the Banksia Peninsula in east Gippsland, Camp Toonallook. The School also purchased land at Bulleen for the development of our sporting complex.
Girls were enrolled at Carey for the first time in 1979, initially in Years 11 and 12. From 1986, girls were enrolled in all year levels of the school. Since 2011 we have maintained an even gender balance.
In 1998, we introduced the International Baccalaureate to Senior School, allowing students the choice of either the VCE or IB programs as their final qualification. In 2001, the School was accredited by the Council of International Schools.
In 2013, the School embarked on a significant building and development program that will guide the Strategic Direction of the School for the next 10 years.