Applications are invited from suitably qualified, experienced and motivated professionals for the full-time, 12-month fixed-term contract position of Research Librarian based at our Kew campus.
Purpose of Role
The Carey Research Librarian works with the Head of CLI Library and library staff to lead best practice information use within curriculum learning, and the development by students of individual repertoires of research and study strategies. The prime focus of the role is Senior School, but close liaison with Middle School is required so that students have a sound understanding of research and study strategies as they enter their senior years. Another key area is the development of wide reading strategies and habits to enable development of key literacies for lifelong learning and appreciation of narrative fiction.
Qualifications, Skills & Knowledge
- Bachelor degree in Library and Information Science, or equivalent is required
- Eligibility for associate membership of the Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA) or progress towards this
- Knowledge, skills and experience in traditional and emerging areas of librarianship to support teaching, learning and research by students at tertiary undergraduate level and/or Years 10–12
- Knowledge, skills and experience in the range and use of online and print resources suited to tertiary undergraduate level and/or Years 10–12
- Strong demonstrated skills and experience in faculty or learning area liaison for the purpose of integrating information literacy into curriculum learning
- Strong demonstrated skills and experience in provision and teaching of programs for development of independent study strategies
- Knowledge, skills and experience in work with faculty or teachers to develop research guides for discipline areas as well as targeted information pathfinders for individual assessment tasks, and teaching about each
- Knowledge, skills and experience in work with faculty or teachers for collection development to support discipline area curriculum research
- Strong demonstrated skills and experience in face-to-face and online research support and guidance, including reference, citation, bibliography and copyright compliance
- Knowledge, skills and experience in developing Library team expertise for frontline research and reference support
- High level written, oral and digital communication skills
- High level knowledge, skills and experience in use of learning technologies and library software systems as well as in creative use of a range of social media and multimedia technologies
- Strong interest, and preferably experience, in development of wide reading cultures and strategies, with experience in Young Adult literature promotion is desirable. Alternatively, a demonstrated ability to readily develop such knowledge would be required
- Strong interest in secondary school education in the Victorian context, and its associated pedagogies or a demonstrated ability to readily develop such knowledge
- Experience in supervision of library study areas
A valid Employee Working With Children Check is a requirement of employment for this position.
A full position description can be found here - position_description_-_research_librarian.pdf
For further information please contact the Human Resources Department on 03 9816 1557.
Please click here to be redirected to our online application page.
Applications close at 4.00pm on Tuesday 18 December 2018.